[kdepim-users] Attaching binary files

bill purvis bill at billp.org
Thu Dec 17 22:08:37 GMT 2009

On Thursday 17 December 2009, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Thursday 17 December 2009, bill purvis wrote:
> > >
> > > The character encoding is meaningless for binary data. It is only
> > > relevant for plain text files because text files usually do not
> > > contain information about the encoding used in the text file.
> >
> > Exactly! Which is why I want to know why there is no 'binary' option
> > in list of encodings. I don't want my binary file to be 'mapped' into
> > some other meaningless encoding. If nothing is going to happen what
> > is the point of providing this option?
>
> I suppose you are referring to the file selection dialog. The option is
> provided in case you select a text file as attachment. If you attach a
> binary file then the selected encoding is ignored.
>

> Regards,
> Ingo

I'm sorry - I have to point out that there is no such distinction. A file
is a file. It's only when you come to make use of the file that the
distinction has any meaning. Some of my 'binary' files are actually
text files, but in an obsolete 5-bit encoding used by 1960-vintage
computers. This discussion is getting a bit deep, and I have been
told that my binary files got there OK, so it's also academic, but
I'd like to know under what circumstances is this encoding used?

I still think it would be helpful if there was a 'binary' option in the
list of encodings just to reassure awkward people like me....

Many thanks
Bill