[kdepim-users] backing up akonadi files in kontact

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Dec 21 12:16:33 GMT 2009

On Saturday, 2009-12-19, Tom Cloyd wrote:
> I'm a new user of Kontact 4.3.2 (on Kubuntu 9.10), and I've had a
> generally great time with it so far - the Calendar function especially.
> It works rather well, I'd say.
>
> The lack of documentation is infuriating, but I'm fumbling my way
> through things. I have recently figured out how to move my 3 calendars,
> in .ics files, in akonadi. But this is creating problems.
>
> I run a lot of programs on two synced computers (I use Unison, a GTK
> front end for rsync, to keep them in agreement). Prior to the akonadi
> conversion, syncing the Kontact-related files in
> /home/{useracct.}/.kde/share/apps/ kept my two Kontact instances in
> agreement. Post-akonadi, it seems to do nothing. The data files appear
> no longer to live there, as the calendar in my computer which needs now
> to be running from akonadi displays nothing. The "subelements" are not
> there.
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1. Where are the Kontact akonadi files?
> 2. Will merely copying them to the other computer do the trick?

The data is still stored in the ics files unless something has been explicitly
reconfigured or something went wrong.

Akonadi cache and metadata are in $HOME/.local/share/akonadi, its bae config
is in $HOME/.config/akonadi, with resource specific config in
$HOME/.kde/share/config

I guess copying those files while non of the using processes is running should
work, though it would probably be better to see why the actual data storage
files are not being updated as expected.

Actually, unless the indent it to participate in long term testing, I'd
recommend against using Akonadi for calendar right now. KOrganizer can only
access Akonadi calendar folders through a compatibilty plugin and this plugin
has to do nasty things like shoehorn the tree like folder structure of Akonadi
into a flat structure expected by KOrganizer.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring