[kdepim-users] Date Conundrum

David Jarvie djarvie at kde.org
Thu Dec 3 16:40:16 GMT 2009

On Thu, December 3, 2009 2:54 pm, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 03 December 2009 14:16:02 Anne Wilson wrote:
>> On Thursday 03 December 2009 12:56:13 James Kerr wrote:
>> > I'm no expert in interpreting email headers, but this looks to me like
>> > the header from a Netgear router's email message:
>> >
>> > Date: Wed,2 (null) 2009 18:28:55 -0000 (GMT Daylight Time)
>> >  From: cannewilson at googlemail.com
>> >  Subject: NETGEAR *Security Alert* [fc:51:9d]
>> >  To: cannewilson at googlemail.com

The "Date:" header line shouldn't be changed by any of the routing
servers. It should be exactly as it was when the message was sent by the
originating server.

> The plot thickens!  I just got another offer from the same company, and on
> the message list it showed 1st January 1970, so I clicked on it, before
> opening
> full headers - and the date immediately changed to today's date!  I do
> seem to
> have seen some odd things in kde-pim, just recently :-)  Anyway, I checked
> the
> header, and can't see anything strange there.  The date of sending appears
> to be Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 13:00:58 +0000, so I can't imagine why that
> display problem occurred.  FWIW, this is Kontact 4.3.3 with KMail 1.12.3

I've seen possibly related behaviour from time to time on an Ubuntu
system. A couple of dozen messages will for no obvious reason show unknown
date, and most of them (but usually not all) will refresh the date
correctly when they are clicked on in the message list. I get the
impression, without any evidence, that it may be an indexing problem.

--
David Jarvie.
KDE developer.