[kdepim-users] Filtering on character set in KMail

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Fri Dec 4 22:21:28 GMT 2009

On Friday 04 December 2009, Steven Friedrich wrote:
> I'm running KDE 4.3.4 on FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE, though it doesn't
> matter for this question.
>
> I receive quite a bit of SPAM that is not in English.
>
> One tip of the day states that you can filter on Content-type, but I
> don't see that in standard filters.

You can simply type "Content-type" in the field where you can
select "Subject", "From", "To", etc.

> How can I filter messages that are not in my char set?

You could create a filter checking the "Content-type". The Content-type
of your message contains "charset=us-ascii". Depending on your settings
it might also contain "charset=utf-8" (or "charset=utf8"?). Legitimate
messages you receive may be in many charsets. I think it's better to
create a blacklist of charsets instead of a whitelist. To do so look at
the source of some non-English spam and look for "charset=...".

Note that a filter checking the "Content-type" will not work for
messages with attachments or messages with HTML and normal text part.
So instead of checking the "Content-type" you might want to check the
Complete Message for "charset=...".