[kdepim-users] Date Conundrum

James Kerr jim at jkerr82508.free-online.co.uk
Thu Dec 3 11:23:56 GMT 2009

On Thursday 03 December 2009 Anne Wilson wrote:

> On Wednesday 02 December 2009 22:20:27 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > On Wednesday 02 December 2009, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > Can anyone explain to me why a message with these headers
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > >  Date: Wed,2 (null) 2009 18:28:55 -0000 (GMT Daylight Time)
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > > should display as in the attached?
> >
> > Well, "Wed,2 (null) 2009" is not a valid date.
>
> Thanks both of you.  I can't believe that I scanned the headers so
>  many times and missed that.  I doubt if it will make any
>  difference, but I will comment on the problem to the sender - or
>  is it the sender, that's causing it? because this is not the only
>  date problem I have.
>
> I get security alerts from my Netgear router, and they displayed as
>  expected until 1st July (IIRC) when they suddenly started showing
>  the date as one month ahead.  I ignored it, really, up to now, but
>  of course from this week, one month ahead puts me into next year.
>  To my surprise, though, they started showing the 010170 date.  On
>  examination, is see the same problem as in the previous post:
>
> Date: Thu,3 (null) 2009 01:00:00 -0000 (GMT Daylight Time)
>
> whereas the last day of November, it showed
>
> Date: Mon,30 Dec 2009 20:56:19 -0000 (GMT Daylight Time)
>
> The first message in this thread was about an external message,
>  passing through the Netgear router and my imap server.  The other
>  two were initiated by the router, passing through the imap server
>  only.  The router config files show the correct date.  The imap
>  server handles all other mail that displays correctly.  It looks,
>  then, as though it is a firmware problem on the router. Yet if
>  that is so, why is external mail, from one company only, affected?
>
> I've been puzzling over this for months, so I'd really be glad of
>  any insight.

I had a Netgear router which behaved like that. IIRC from about
September each year (it may have been earlier), until the end of the
year, it would add a month to the date on emails that it originated.
In January it would revert to using the correct month. There may be a
firmware update available to rectify that.

I don't recall seeing any similar anomaly in emails that were not
originated by the router.

Jim