[kdepim-users] What files should I backup?

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Thu Aug 20 16:43:35 BST 2009

On Thursday 20 August 2009 16:33:08 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 August 2009, Anne Wilson wrote:
>
> It depends on whether Fedora 11 uses ~/.kde4 or ~/.kde. That's the first
> thing you should find out. If Fedora 11 uses ~/.kde then you do not
> need to do any renaming or file editing.

Fedora 11 uses ~/.kde, so that's fine.

> > > You may want to check with one of the KDE lists. Simply renaming a
> > > directory will probably just cause problems.
> >
> > Do you have to go the upgrade path?  So much has changed between 8
> > and 11 that I can almost guarantee that it will take at least a week
> > to get everything working again, and even then you may be left with
> > unexplained glitches.
>
> I respectfully disagree with Anne. So far I have always kept my complete
> home directory. The oldest dot file in my home directory is now 14.5
> (!!!) years old and my ~/.kde directory has been migrated successfully
> to all versions of KDE starting with KDE 2.0.

I've done that many times, when making minor upgrades.  I have no experience
of trying to jump so many versions, which is why I recommended the cautious
way.  However, I still believe that a clean install would be infinitely
preferable for this situation (a jump of several versions) to trying to
upgrade, whether he keeps /home or not, but in the end it is his decision.

> > I would recommend copying the whole of your
> > /home to external storage.  If possible also copy your /etc.
>
> Making a backup of /home and /etc is definitely a good advise. On my
> systems /home resides on a partition of its own. This way I can easily
> replace the old system with a new system without affecting any of my
> data in /home. This has worked very well for me since I started to use
> this setup.
>
> Since some time I reserve two partitions for different systems. This way
> I can easily update/replace the system on one of the partitions while
> still keeping my currently used system on the other partition. If the
> update goes wrong I can easily fallback to the working system.

I also have done that when using hardware with enough capacity to do it.  As
you say, it is good insurance.

> Anyway, as always your mileage may vary.

Anne