[kdepim-users] distribution lists in KMail Address Book

Louis Hinman lou at manhattanhandyman.com
Tue Aug 11 16:23:16 BST 2009

First, let me say it is a great pleasure to have made the move from Outlook
(and all things Microsoft) to Linux, íKMail and KDE. I look forward eagerly
to having more and more control over my computing environment, as I learn to
make full use of these efficient and elegant tools.

I have not received any comments on my last (more detailed) exposition of the
problem I've had with distribution lists in KMail 1.9.10 (see below).  I'm
guessing, therefore, that this is a bug in what is, admittedly, by now a
somewhat older version of KMail.

I'm wondering if I would be well advised to get the most recent stable release
of KMail. (I hate to second-guess the fine Slackware team, but I can't really
get by without distribution lists.) If I were to install the most recent
stable release of KMail, while retaining KDE 3.5.10, would I be likely to
have any difficulties?  (Or would I need to replace KDE 3.5.10 with a more
recent release also?)

Thanks & Best Regards
Lou
New York City

On Thursday 06 August 2009 05:57:49 pm Ingo Klöcker wrote:

> > > Hmm. KDE 3.5 included KMail 1.9.
Oops, I was reading the the version number from the KMail Manual.  You are
coorect.  Slackware 12.2 (12/09/2008) has KDE 3.5.10, which includes KMail
1.9.10.

> > > When you say "Address Book" do you mean "Address Book Browser -
> > > KAddressBook" (it can be started via the Tools menu in KMail)?
> >
> > Yes.
> > >
> > > If you are using KAddressBook then please check whether
> > > the "Distribution Lists" pane is shown. If it is not shown, then
> > > you can make it visible via the View menu.
> >
> > Yes, the "Distribution Lists" pane is displayed.
>
> Does the option in the View menu read "Distribution List Editor NG"?

Yes.  It reads "Distribution List Editor NG"

> I cannot reproduce your problem. Can you please give a detailed
> description how to reproduce it?

I created a Distribution List with the name "Dymond Road".

Using the "+" button next to "Distribution Lists" I got the "Edit Distribution
List - KAddressBook" dialogue with Name: "New Distribution List".  I
changed "New Distribution List to "Dymond Road".  Then I used
the "Distribution list members" dialogue to add list members from the
addressbook.  After I added a few members, I click "OK" and I see the new
distribution list and the members that I just added to it.  Everything looks
fine.  However, when I close the Address Book, and reopen it, the
disbribution list "Dymond Road" and all the members of the list have
disappeared without a trace.

In trying to create the list again, I have had some variation in this
behavior.  I created the list, closed the Address Book, reopened it, and the
list was still there but with only 3 of the names that I had entered.  When I
re-enter the names that had disappeared they are added to the list, but when
I close and reopen the list, they have disappeared again, leaving the only
the same 3 names.

Thank to Ingo for his thoughts this to date on this issue.

Best Regards,
Lou
New York City