[kdepim-users] KMail becomes slow after search

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 13:24:50 BST 2009

O. Sinclair wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
>>> Which version are you using? I am on KDE 3.5.10 w KMail 1.9.10 and have
>>> experienced this so many times that I have almost stopped using the
>>> Search function. Same goes for if I mark too many emails as Important.
>>> Specially on startup KMail gets extremely slow and generates enormous
>>> amounts of disk activity.
>>>
>> I have huge numbers of messages gathered over years, marked Important, and
>> have never seen any ill-effect.  OTOH, it has often been remarked that a
>> search that creates a large search folder does have this effect.  I don't know
>> why it does, but when I get that result I always try to do a search that will
>> produce few matches before I close the application.
>>

> Well I have no idea how this might happen and just to test I marked a
> few emails as Important and, touch wood, so far no problems. Maybe
> something has changed since I last used the function.
>
> So it leaves us with the Search-related slowness. Again, I have avoided
> creating Search-folders for a long time due to being massively irritated
> when Kontact/KMail starts and the computer grinds to near halt.

Well I just made some searches and played around quite a bit and can not
reproduce the problem any longer...
I have not a clue as to when I last had it as I found it so irritating I
stopped using these functions a while ago.

I can only remember one thing I have done: I have uninstalled all
modules related to Strigi as I found it unusable and pointless.

Sinclair