[kdepim-users] distribution lists in KMail Address Book

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Aug 11 19:07:34 BST 2009

On Tuesday 11 August 2009, Louis Hinman wrote:
> I have not received any comments on my last (more detailed)
> exposition of the problem I've had with distribution lists in KMail
> 1.9.10 (see below).  I'm guessing, therefore, that this is a bug in
> what is, admittedly, by now a somewhat older version of KMail.

Yes, it seems to be a bug. Please see my other reply.

> I'm wondering if I would be well advised to get the most recent
> stable release of KMail. (I hate to second-guess the fine Slackware
> team, but I can't really get by without distribution lists.) If I
> were to install the most recent stable release of KMail, while
> retaining KDE 3.5.10, would I be likely to have any difficulties?
> (Or would I need to replace KDE 3.5.10 with a more recent release
> also?)

Yes and no. KMail 1.9.10 was the last KMail in the KDE 3 series. All
more recent versions of KMail are based on KDE 4. In theory, it is
possible to run a KDE 4 application (e.g. the most recent stable
version of KMail) in KDE 3.5. In practice, it is not easy to set this
up correctly. Unless your distribution allows you to install KDE 4
applications while using KDE 3.5 I advise against doing so.

Anyway, hopefully my other reply solves your problem with KMail 1.9.10
so that you can keep using KMail 1.9.10 until you finally upgrade all
of KDE from KDE 3.5 to KDE 4.3 (or 4.4 or ...).