[kdepim-users] KMail 1.11.2 insists on connecting at startup

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Apr 26 12:19:06 BST 2009

On Sunday 26 April 2009, Anne Wilson wrote:
>   On my netbook I wanted to set KMail to only collect mail when I ask
> it to. That's how I set it in the GUI, yet it connects immediately on
> startup.  I presume this is a bug.  I really want to change this
> behaviour before I take the netbook on holiday, so is it possible to
> edit a file somewhere?  I did look in kmailrc, but didn't spot the
> problem.  I can see 'check-interval=0' for the Roaming account, but
> nothing about that original check.  Any idea where this setting is
> stored?

Is this with online IMAP? If an IMAP account is expanded then KMail
(1.9.10) will ask for the password of the IMAP account on startup even
if mail check on startup is disabled. You can simply cancel the
password query. KMail will then collapse the IMAP account in the folder
list.

If you are using expiration then KMail will ask for the password if
there's something to expire.

openSUSE has added support for online/offline mode to KMail and several
other apps. I'm not sure whether this has ever made it into KDE proper.