[kdepim-users] kmailrc > 35MB

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Apr 15 22:02:12 BST 2009

On Friday 10 April 2009, Kishore wrote:
> Today, i did something that caused kmail to cough up. I use gmail
> with dimap and through gmail settings, i "renamed" a label. I came
> back to my local machine and fired up kontact. I'd expect kontact to
> resync and i don't know what is meant to happen between 1) kmail
> recognizes that the mail folder has "moved", or 2) a folder was
> deleted and another folder was created.

2). It is impossible for KMail to recognize that the folder was renamed.
(The only way to recognize this would be to compare all messages in
the "deleted" folder and in the "new" folder which implies that one has
to download all message in the "new" folder.)

> On sync it appears to have recognized the change in folder
> structure.. the old folder disappeared and the new one appeared but i
> noticed my system almost came to a halt. kontact was taking up 100%
> cpu and nearly about 1.9 GB memory (this machine has 2GB RAM). I
> killed kontact as it was completely unresponsive and i tried
> restarting. This time the CPU and memory usage would show up even
> before kontact showed its UI. I killed kontact again and looked
> through the config files to find that kmailrc was over 35MB in size.
> The property against the new folder had the offending line
> "UIDStatusChangedLocally=0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0....." endlessly..
>
> It seems that kmail could not handle such large scale changes or so.
> Is this a bug?

Seems to be a bug. I guess until now nobody tried to rename a large
folder on the server. I suggest to submit a bug report.