[kdepim-users] Problems POP-ing email

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Apr 23 21:42:57 BST 2009

On Thursday 23 April 2009, John Aldrich wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 April 2009, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > > The exact error message is as follows: The process for the
> > > pop3://<mailserver> protocol died unexpectedly
> >
> > Did you retry it a few times?
>
> Yes.
>
> > > This just does not make sense. Any ideas on where to start trying
> > > to troubleshoot the problem?
> >
> > No, no idea. It was probably just a temporay hick-up. As long as it
> > does not occur regularly, I wouldn't worry about it.
> >
> > KDE re-uses io-slaves like the POP3 io-slaves. After some time
> > unused io-slaves are terminated. Maybe the POP3 io-slave had some
> > problem and it worked again after the problematic io-slave had been
> > terminated and a new one started. This is pure speculation, but it
> > would explain your observation.
> >
> > If you happen to run into this problem again, try if killing the
> > POP3 io-slave kio_pop3 helps.
>
> Well, I already tried that. I tend to leave my system up and logged
> in pretty much full time. I also tend to log in from remote via SSH
> and VNC to read email, etc at home from work. Yesterday after I got
> to work, I was able to launch a new KMail session (I'd shut down
> KMail when I left for work) and it worked fine, but when I came back
> home, I had the same problem. So I logged out and logged back in
> using a different window manager (Gnome instead of KDE/OpenBox) and
> now KMail is working again. I don't know if it was that my session
> was "stale" or if there was a problem with KDE/OpenBox.

Did you notice any other problems additionally to the POP3 problem, e.g.
with IMAP (provided you use IMAP)?

To be honest, I have no idea what could have caused those problems.
Maybe a problem in kded, but again that's pure speculation.

One other question: Did you probably install some updates? I have
occasionally noticed problems with a running KDE session after I had
installed updates of some KDE libraries.