[kdepim-users] Problems POP-ing email

John Aldrich jmaldrich at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 23 11:18:11 BST 2009

On Wednesday 22 April 2009, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
[snip]
> > The exact error message is as follows: The process for the
> > pop3://<mailserver> protocol died unexpectedly
>
> Did you retry it a few times?

Yes.

> > This just does not make sense. Any ideas on where to start trying to
> > troubleshoot the problem?
>
> No, no idea. It was probably just a temporay hick-up. As long as it does
> not occur regularly, I wouldn't worry about it.
>
> KDE re-uses io-slaves like the POP3 io-slaves. After some time unused
> io-slaves are terminated. Maybe the POP3 io-slave had some problem and
> it worked again after the problematic io-slave had been terminated and
> a new one started. This is pure speculation, but it would explain your
> observation.
>
> If you happen to run into this problem again, try if killing the POP3
> io-slave kio_pop3 helps.

Well, I already tried that. I tend to leave my system up and logged in
pretty much full time. I also tend to log in from remote via SSH and VNC to
read email, etc at home from work. Yesterday after I got to work, I was
able to launch a new KMail session (I'd shut down KMail when I left for
work) and it worked fine, but when I came back home, I had the same problem.
So I logged out and logged back in using a different window manager (Gnome
instead of KDE/OpenBox) and now KMail is working again. I don't know if it
was that my session was "stale" or if there was a problem with KDE/OpenBox.
In any event, the problem is temporarily resolved. But I don't care much
for the situation... there's no guarantee that it won't happen again.