[kdepim-users] KMail and X.509

Andreas Petzold Andreas.Petzold at mailbox.tu-dresden.de
Tue Sep 2 12:52:08 BST 2008

Hi Dominik,

Quoting Dominik Schulz <lkml at ds.gauner.org>:

> Hi,
> I can't get KMail to sign mails using my X.509 certificate, which is working
> flawlessly for that purpose in e.g. T-Bird. Does anyone have some
> hints for me
> or a working tutorial or something like this? Everything I have found so far
> didn't help me much.

there are a couple if threads about this topic in the archives of this
mailing list. It can be tricky to get s/mime to work in kmail :-) but
it works (well it's most often not a problem of kmail but a problem of
the parts that are used for the x.509 stuff).

BTW, what is the problem/error message?

Here are a few hints that I hope will help you to find/fix whatever is broken:

* is gpg-agent running?
* are you able to validate your cert in kleopatra?
* have a look at kwatchgnupg, it will help you to determine the actual
error, if all you get is "...failed. General Error"

Cheers,

Andreas