[kdepim-users] kio_pop3 processes not exiting?

r bartlett techwritebos at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 9 18:16:04 BST 2008

I a long, ongoing problem where Kmail stops delivering or sending mail after minutes, hours, or days.  Often within 5-10 minutes of starting Kmail, I notice that the little "check mail" indicator is whizzing back and forth indefinitely at the lower right, and that's the sign that I'm not going to get any mail again until I:

1. quit Kmail
2. killall kio_pop3
3. wait for the processes to die (1-2 minutes)
4. restart Kmail

If I start and stop Kmail without manually using "killall," over time I will end up with a collection of 20, 30, even 40 kio_pop3 processes, which seem to (I don't know for sure) confuse or interfere with Kmail's mail checking.

How many processes should there be, and is there any reason why perhaps they might be getting confused or hung?

I am using frequent (1 minute, 2 minute) mail checking of about 7-8 locations.  Might this too be an issue?

Any help or suggestions would be great.  This problem is maddening, and seriously impacts the usability of Kmail.