[kdepim-users] OpenPGP Strange Behaviours

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Fri Oct 17 20:29:03 BST 2008

On Thursday 16 October 2008, Arnaud Mombrial wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 October 2008 14:05:28 Arnaud Mombrial wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Using Kmail Version 1.10.1
> >
> > I've configured for a long time all the OpenPGP thing without any
> > pb.
> >
> > Since a few days every message I send appears to be Valid and
> > Trusted in my "Sent Messages" but Invalid (Warning: The signature
> > is bad.) in my Inbox (I Bcc to myself every message I send)
> >
> > Any guess ?
> >
> > Regards
>
> Hey! It's me again.
>
> I've solved my pb,

Great.

> so I want the community to be informed of that in
> hope it could be usefull to someone else :~()

Excellent.

> 'Cause till now I was certain to send plain text message even with
> the HTML toolbar visible, stupid am I...

Nah. It's KMail that misbehaves a bit. It shouldn't send HTML messages
unless you explicitly request it. KMail 1.10 makes it a bit too easy to
inadvertently send HTML messages.

> I've found that even if I tell Kmail not to send {heavy} HTML
> messages with * [Settings → Configure Kmail → Security → Prefer HTML
> to plain text] That I've leaved unchecked, this setting is overiden
> by the
>  * [Options → Formatting (HTML)]
> Message preference.

Those two options are unrelated. The "Prefer HTML to plain text" option
is used when displaying messages. The "Formatting (HTML)" option is
used when composing/sending messages.

> This said, it appears that HTML messages made the OpenPGP signature
> "non- consistent".
>
>  * [Settings → Configure Kmail → Identities → Modify → Cryptography →
> Prefered Crypto Message Format]
> is set to "OpenPGP/MIME. Don't know if this settings is related to my
> pb.

Signing HTML messages using OpenPGP/MIME should work (and it seems it
did work for you since the messages in your sent-mail folder had good
signatures). Of course, the signature breaks if, for example, the
mailing list software removes the HTML part from the message.