[kdepim-users] kmail crashing every 15 minutes or so.

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Oct 20 23:03:26 BST 2008

On Monday 20 October 2008, Art Alexion wrote:
> On Monday 20 October 2008 5:08:44 pm Art Alexion wrote:
> > On Monday 20 October 2008 3:39:42 pm Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > > I suppose you were not doing any checks for new mail while
> > > composing this reply. So it's probably a problem with compaction
> > > or expiry of old messages.
> > >
> > > Do you use message expiry? If yes, then you could try to find the
> > > offending folder by running the expiry manually for all folders
> > > where you have expiry enabled. (I have to admit that I'm doing
> > > wild guesses since I do not really know your setup.)
> >
> > Yes, I use expiry on all folders, aggressively marking stuff
> > important that I don't want to lose.
> >
> > I'll go through all of the folders and give it a try.
> >
> > This may sound stupid for as long as I have used kmail, but how do
> > I expire manually?
>
> OK, to do it manually, I just shortened the time and hit OK.

Just hitting OK would have done it.

> When I did it on one folder kmail immediately crashed.

Good. So my guess was correct. The backtrace you provided with your
other message shows that the index of this folder seems to be corrupt.
If this is an IMAP folder then I suggest to delete the corresponding
cache and its index files. You will find it somewhere in
~/.kde-cvs/share/apps/kmail/imap/.<some number>.directory
where <some number> is the internal ID KMail uses for the corresponding
IMAP account. You can find to correct number either by looking at the
Account section in your kmailrc or simply by looking into all
candidates under ~/.kde-cvs/share/apps/kmail/imap/.