[kdepim-users] moving to a new machine

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Oct 19 18:16:04 BST 2008

On Sunday 19 October 2008, Roy J. Tellason wrote:
> This box runs kmail 1.9.4 under KDE 3.5.4,  Slackware 10.something,
> I'm not sure any more which version...
>
> I just did a new install of Slackware 12.1 to another box,  and want
> to migrate my mail and settings and filters and whatnot over to it.
> I can copy all of the mail over,  no problem,  but I'd also like to
> be able to have all of my settings,  all of my filters,  and my
> address book and such as well. What all do I need to copy besides the
> mail itself?

I take this opportunity to point you to the KMail FAQ at
userbase.kde.org. Since your question is probably the MFAQ (most
frequently asked question) on this mailing list it is of course
answered there:

http://userbase.kde.org/KMail/Tips

FWIW, I prefer Werner's approach to copy all of ~/.kde over the
copy-only-what's-needed approach.

> And will the rest of this stuff just work?  Or am I in for spending a
> bunch of time re-doing my setups...?

It should just work, but we cannot guarantee it.