[kdepim-users] Seperate 'sets' of mail boxes

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Nov 24 19:53:14 GMT 2008

On Friday 21 November 2008, Peter777 wrote:
> On Friday 21 November 2008 06:44:21 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > On Thursday 20 November 2008, Peter777 wrote:
> > > So, at this stage, we are saying that mbox and maildir are
> > > 'equally as fast' as each other ??
> >
> > I won't make such a claim since it will surely depend on the
> > system, i.e. one might work better on a slow computer while the
> > other might work better on a current laptop (i.e. fast CPU, but
> > slower laptop hard disk).
> >
> > What I do claim is that on a not-too-slow/old computer both, mbox
> > and maildir, are usable without performance penalties. Personally I
> > prefer maildir because it is a bit more robust than mbox.
>
> Okay, thanks for that. It does seem though, that using mbox,
> especially for the relatively small sized email box I have (700Mb on
> total), and considering that a more powerful computer will be used
> for KMail, that I shouldn't expect any issues/problems with mbox
> format.
>
> I was pleased to hear that you do still use it (mbox) though.  :D

I just remembered a disadvantage of mbox: incremental backups. If you
regularly do incremental backups then with maildir only the new
messages need to be copied to the backup while with mbox the whole mbox
file has to be copied even if only one new message has been appended to
the mbox file.

OTOH, 700 MB isn't that much, so it shouldn't hurt too much.