[kdepim-users] Seperate 'sets' of mail boxes

Peter777 peter777 at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Nov 19 23:19:53 GMT 2008

On Thursday 20 November 2008 00:55:37 you wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 November 2008 12:25:36 Peter777 wrote:
> > No doubt a lot depends on the size of the mbox, not so much how many
> > emails. Consider the 14Mb Pegasus mbox file, it has only 1680 email
> > messages in it, whereas one has 4336 emails in it, and only 11Mb.
>
> Yes and no, I would think.  It's true that the number of mails doesn't
> necessarily coincide with the size of the mailbox.  Take 2 of my Friends
> folders, for instance.  The first has 869 messages in 147.1MB - he sends a
> lot of large photos - while the second has 5939 messages in 63.1MB.
> However, there is no perceptible delay in accessing either of these
> mailboxes.

Okay, so small number of messages but large mailbox size, and then the other
large number of messages and small size (comparitely), although 63.1Mb is way
more than the largest I have.

> > It seems from what you are saying that mbox under KMail is very slow
> > indeed. If that is so, possibly the KMail develops can take a look at
> > http://community.pmail.com/forums/1/8987/ShowThread.aspx , and contact
> > David Harris, there may be some very nice features to be added to KMail
> > (apart from mbox performance). Seems there were no takers from Linux
> > though.  :(
>
> I only skimmed through the thread, which is very long, but I failed to get
> any idea what features you were looking for.  Your best bet is to file a
> wish at bugs.kde.org, being very specific about what you would like to see.
>  However, if it turns out that your wish depends on something against
> accepted standards it is unlikely that it would be implemented.  Still,
> it's worth asking.

David Harris (author of Pegasus) was, in a way, considering a Linux port of
Pegasus, but it appears no one was interested. Just who he asked I have no
idea. Just thought the KMail developers may be interested in some respects,
to use some of the (many) features Pegasus has. ?

> > Won't having (possibly) hundreds of thousands of files with maildir (one
> > file per email message) put a significant (extra) load on Linux systems ?
> > There is abviously , in Linux , the equivalent of a FAT, so keeping track
> > of so many files (or a lot less with mbox) must place some overhead on
> > system peformance.
>
> Well I've just shown you an example of a large folder and one with almost
> 6000 messages.  I could go on - I've got very many folders here - but
> suffice to say that since I moved to maildir I have always found it
> extremely fast.  I think the problem is that you are thinking of FAT, and
> linux just doesn't work that way.  Maybe someone else can give you the
> technical answer to this.

Just thinking of the Linux 'equivalent' of FAT. No matter what name is has,
there has to be some sort of table on any filing system, so that filenames
translate to sectors/blocks, etc, in order to access the files. FAT is very
bloated, but then so is M$.  :D

Peter