[kdepim-users] Seperate 'sets' of mail boxes

Peter777 peter777 at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Nov 26 10:56:53 GMT 2008

On Tuesday 25 November 2008 06:53:14 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Friday 21 November 2008, Peter777 wrote:
> > On Friday 21 November 2008 06:44:21 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > I was pleased to hear that you do still use it (mbox) though.  :D
>
> I just remembered a disadvantage of mbox: incremental backups. If you
> regularly do incremental backups then with maildir only the new
> messages need to be copied to the backup while with mbox the whole mbox
> file has to be copied even if only one new message has been appended to
> the mbox file.
>
> OTOH, 700 MB isn't that much, so it shouldn't hurt too much.

Yes, 700Mb isn't much at all, considering the size of some email boxes used by
KMail users. The largest mbox file I have was about 14Mb though, so no big
drama to have that included in an incremental. But I get your point though,
using mbox means all mbox files that have changed since the last backup, will
be included in an incrental backup.

Peter