[kdepim-users] Copy k-mail messages to another computer

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Nov 24 22:14:10 GMT 2008

On Sunday 23 November 2008, Gerben Sikkema wrote:
>  Dear All,
>
> Recently I've installed Linux Suse 11 on my laptop and I want to
> transfer my most important files from my "old" computer to my laptop.
> I experience difficulties with the messages. I've divided my inbox
> into several subfolders. When copying the directories (in the
> .kde/.../.../ folder) the messages will not be copied. I've used the
> drag and drop method in Konqueror with my own account, as superuser
> and I've used the command prompt. (also as superuser) Nothing works.
>
> As devices I've used a an external hard-disk and usb-sticks. The
> result is always the same; none.
>
> Of course I've checked the website and the FAQ's but without a
> satisfying result.
>
> What method will work to transfer my messages (all) from one computer
> to another?

What exactly did you try to copy?

I recommend that you copy at least the folders ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail
and ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc (contains your addressbook) with everything
they contain, and the files ~/.kde/share/config/kmailrc and
~/.kde/share/config/emailidentities.

If you want to make your life much easier, then you should simply copy
all of ~/.kde to your laptop, unless you have very good reasons not to
do so.