[kdepim-users] Expire problem with kmail 1.9.10

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Nov 4 10:46:27 GMT 2008

On Monday 03 November 2008, Art Alexion wrote:
> I have a problem.  One of my mail hosting services (account
> alexion.com) filters spam and counts it against my quota.  This is a
> high spam account with an excess of 1000 spams per day.  It takes
> little more than a day to exceed my quota.
>
> While I retrieve alexion.com mail via gmail, it only retrieves the
> inbox from its server.  I cannot turn off this spam filtering or
> configure it.
>
> To get around the problem, I have set up an alexion.com IMAP account
> in kmail. I can go into the folder and empty it periodically.  That
> works fine.  I tried to automate this by setting an expiration of 1
> day on that folder, but it doesn't seem to be working as it usually
> does.
>
> That is, If I right click the folder and select Expire... and then ok
> the dialog, day old messages are deleted, but periodic automatic
> expiration doesn't seem to happen.
>
> Do I have this configured wrong, or is the feature broken?

Expiration seems to work reliably for the Trash folders of my IMAP
accounts. One is set to 5 days and one to 7 days. Moreover, to stay
below the quota I archive old messages from my IMAP inboxes to local
folders. This does also work reliably. For one of the IMAP accounts
KMail even asks me for the password so that it can run the expiration.

I suppose your KMail runs long enough (i.e. more than a few minutes) for
expiration to kick in.

Try the following:
- Do not store the password of the account.
- Close your alexion.com IMAP account in the folder list, so that KMail
does not ask its password on startup.
- Restart KMail.
- After a few minutes KMail should ask you for the password for your
alexion.com IMAP account.

If KMail does not ask you for the password, then we know that KMail does
not even attempt to run expiration. Otherwise, we know that KMail does
run the expiration, but that it does not work.

> Is there something more effective I can do with filters?  I haven't
> found a false positive worth saving.

Filters only work for the IMAP inbox.