[kdepim-users] Recovery KMail after KDE crash

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 27 08:41:18 GMT 2008

On Wednesday 26 November 2008 12:34:32 Pavel Mendl wrote:
> I uninstalled wrong library by mistake and dependencies took down half of
> my Debian system. I managed to recover after all (one step being
> reinstalling the kde package) without major loose of user data.
>
> However I have problem with my old mails, archived in inbox folder:
> When I open KMail, I see list of all the messages (subjects, sender,
> date...) properly. However clicking on any of the old (not received after
> recovery) mail turns it into "no subject, unknown sender and date" list
> item. Double click opens completely empty message. However there are
> messages with proper dates and sane lengths in
> ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail/inbox/cur and I can open them by doubleclick
> in Konqueror, what opens perfect KMail message.
>
> So I suspect some reindexing needed only, but did not find (googled) any
> usable how-to or FAQ on this point. Please help, any clue welcome.

You are quite right - your index files are borked.  With KMail closed you need
to delete the index files so that they can rebuild.  However, in the past I
have seen most messages survive, but I've also seen all messages in a box
disappear, so if at all possible I'd recommend that you copy your whole mail
structure somewhere for safe-keeping before you do it.  If you don't have
space for that, copy one box out and remove its index files, go back and check
the result, then do the same for other boxes.  HTH

Anne