[kdepim-users] pgp not working

Paul Cartwright paul_tbot at pcartwright.com
Sat May 24 18:45:21 BST 2008

On Sat May 24 2008, phep wrote:

> That one is provided by the gnupg package.
which I couldn't find...

> >> To be precise: gpgme was looking for /usr/bin/gpg (probably because
> >> that's were gpg was to be found when gpgme was built).
> >
> > so, all I had to do was recompile gpgme to /usr/bin and I would have been
> > fine, or just reinstall gpgme..
>
> The kmail package for lenny depends on libkleopatra1 which in turn
> depends on libgpgme11 which in turn depends on gnupg, so if you
> installed the kmail package I can't see how you didn't have gpgme.

ii  gpgme          1.1.4-1        Package created with checkinstall 1.6.1

so I did have kmail, but not gpgme

> Then, gpgpme is a /library/ so it won't install anything in /usr/bin. As
> stated before, yet, gpgme (I should say the libgpgme11 package) depends
> on gnupg that provides th /usr/bin/gpg binary.
>
> Then, (from your last off-line message) you CANNOT use checkinstall to
> install _debian_ packages. Checkinstall _builds_ .deb packages from
> source tarballs but those packages ARE NOT debian packages; they will be
> "user" packages and you are running for trouble if you install them
> along side with official packages unless you are perfectly aware of this
> and of all the twists and turns you may have to go through using
> checkinstall, so please, do yourself a favor: forget checkinstall and
> install debian packages with aptitude. If you "always use checkinstall",
> as you say, then you never install _debian_ packages.

well, I USUALLY use apt-get, unless it can't find a package, THEN I try to
build from source.

>  > # apt-get --reinstall install gnupg
>  > Reading package lists... Done
>  > Building dependency tree
>  > Reading state information... Done
>  > Reinstallation of gnupg is not possible, it cannot be downloaded.
>  > 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 11 not upgraded.
>
> While I am not 100% sure about this, I think this means that apt cannot
> connect to a repository on which it can find the gnupg package. What do
> you have in your sources.list (and while we're at it, do you have
> something special in your apt.conf) ?

that may be the entire problem, I am missing a valuable repository.

# cat apt.conf
APT::Default-Release "stable";
paulandcilla:/etc/apt#

# cat sources.list