[kdepim-users] dIMAP & kmail

Thu May 15 17:22:28 BST 2008

On Thursday 15 May 2008 20:15:00 Bengt Gördén wrote:
> Den Thursday 15 May 2008 16.08.26 skrev Kishore:
> > I dont know for sure, but i think caching is a local thing and the server
> > need not know if it's pure IMAP or DIMAP. But the polling frequency can
> > be an issue on the server. Could it be that a new query is initiated by
> > kmail for each folder and that makes it appear to poll every few seconds?
>
> I remember when I connected to a courier-server at my former work. I always
> was at the "top of the tops" in the process listing.
>
> I still have the email account there so I did a tcpdump now and there were
> 3434 packets exchanged when I checked the mail. I have 20 folders to check.
> It's imaps so I can't really see what's going on there with tcpdump. But it
> is a lot of traffic without a single mail being transferred. It might be
> the nature of dIMAP I really don't now. Just my observation.

I dont think it is specific to dimap. That must be because kmail does not
support being notified by the server and hence needs to perform multiple
actions like getting a msg list probably and then fething those which are
new. Again, this is only my educated guess. I know nothing about these
technologies.
--
Cheers!
Kishore