[kdepim-users] Memory graph for Kontact

Bengt Gördén bengan at bag.org
Wed May 21 08:31:27 BST 2008

Hi,

I was making a graph of memory usage for the processes firefox-bin and Xorg
when I stumbled across high memory usage for Kontact. I'm plotting

egrep VmRSS /proc/`pidof kontact`/status

The graph
http://www.bag.org/kontact.png

xrange starts at 12215 due to a lot of data before with firefox and X. VmRSS
for Kontact is plotted every minute. It's about 35h of data for the graph.

12215 First plot of Kontact (with kontact using kmail, kadressbook,
      korganizer)
12515 restarted kontact (only using kmail)
13500 read an e-mail that had 4MB of text in it
14020 restarted kontact

Anyone knows why Kontact is allocating memory but never releases it? Or should
I say it seems to release small amount of memory, but not enough.

regards,

/bengan