[kdepim-users] pgp not working

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun May 25 12:00:11 BST 2008

On Sunday 25 May 2008, Pastor JW wrote:
> On Saturday 24 May 2008 02:10:31 am Anne Wilson wrote:

> > > It CAN work but will never work by using the available "how
> > > to's".  I had someone take me through the install once and it
> > > worked all the way up until I updated Mandriva 2007 to 2008!
> > > Pointless to go through the whole procedure again as it is really
> > > not useful and you have to start all over everytime you update
> > > your system.  Each time you reinstall it it lacks a piece or two
> > > to be usefull and you'll chase it for a couple months, missing
> > > out on the things you really ought to have been doing.

This depends largely on the distribution and on the way one does the
update. When all of this was new (many years ago) setting it up
correctly was very difficult. But it is no more. More than 3 years ago
I have set it up once and for all. I'm now using this setup on the
third or fourth computer with the third or fourth different version of
SUSE resp. openSUSE.

FWIW, all you have to do is put the following two lines in a file called
~/.kde/env/start-gpg-agent.sh
=====
killall gpg-agent 2>/dev/null
eval "$(gpg-agent --daemon --default-cache-ttl 36000)"
=====

> > > Can sign
> > > a message?  Sure but I have to do my password each time so it is
> > > still broken isn't it?  I will in fact sign this one but I
> > > disabled the "auto signing" as it can't do it.
> >
> > That sounds as though you don't have gpg-agent running.  I use it
> > on 2008.0 with no problems whatsoever.
>
> Yes, that is what it complains about when booting.  However,
> gpg-agent is installed and was also installed and was actually
> working before the "upgrade".  There were four or five steps still
> needed but I don't of course remember them.  One of the reason I have
> a computer is to remember things for me.  :(

Well, my computers never had a problem remembering the above setup, but
as I wrote above this depends largely on the way you do the update or
the migration to a new computer. I always put my home folder on a
separate partition so that I can easily reinstall the system without
having to worry about my user data. Moreover, I always copy my complete
home folder when I migrate to a new computer.