[kdepim-users] KAddressbook and a DB Backend

Christian Frommeyer debian at frommeyer.name
Fri Mar 28 12:43:52 GMT 2008

Hi,

after having trouble lately with too long processing times for storing a
simple change in a stored address I decided to store my addresses (380
addresses taking 1.5 MB) in a database mostly for performance reasons,
but as well to share the information with my wife. My first Idea was to
use ldap as Backend. This prooved to be a bit tricky but I manged to
set up ldap and Kontact to work together. Just to find out that kontact
cannot save all data to ldap which result in data loss (without
warning). As the major reason to use kaddressbook is the flexibility to
handle addresses with more post/email-addresses/phone numbers/etc its
not an option to use just a subset.

Now I'm searching for a diffrent way to bring all the data from kontact
to a database. I read a discussion from 2004 about a possible mysql
interface, but it looks like this was never implemented/released. Has
someone heard of s.th. the like or more information how i could knitt
an interface myself?

Regards Chris

PS: Please take me on the CC list as I'm not (yet) subscribed.

--
A: because it disrupts the normal process of thought
Q: why is top posting frowned upon