[kdepim-users] KMail and File Associations

Gandalf Lechner gandalf.lechner at univie.ac.at
Mon Mar 3 19:27:58 GMT 2008

On Monday 03 March 2008 20:13:49 Ronny Standtke wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just got an email with the following link inside:
> http://nioframework.sourceforge.net/Transformation_Chain3.odt
>
> When I click on this link (using Kubuntu 7.10) KMail starts Kate instead of
> OpenOffice!
> If I start kcontrol and look at "KDE Components->File Associations" the
> file name pattern "*odt" is configured in vnd.oasis.opendocument.text and
> in the "Application Preference Order" list I only have one
> entry: "OpenOffice.org Word Processor". Under the tab "Embedding" the radio
> button "Use settings for 'application' group" is selected.
>
> So why on earth does KMail insist on opening this link with Kate!?!?
> *grrr!*

When I clicked that link, it opened my preferred browser, as selected in
kcontrol, and then the browser (firefox) asked how to open the odt file.
Since the standard choice was openoffice there, it opened in openoffice. So
probably you rather need to check the settings of your browser, not of kmail.

Best,
Gandalf