[kdepim-users] IMAP resources - can't set up

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 16 18:48:03 GMT 2008

On Sunday 16 March 2008 17:50:07 E. Hakan Duran wrote:
> On Sunday 16 March 2008 12:14:26 pm Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Then to a client box.  I have created the account and got the additional
> > folders created, but every time I try to connect to the server I get
> > a 'connection closed unexpectedly' message.
>
> Anne,
>
> I actually never setup a kmail account on the server machine. I just did it
> on 2 clients. Needles to say, you probably made sure that port 143 (tcp and
> udp) is open on the server, right. You are probably more experienced in
> linux than me, but maybe you should make sure that you set up saslauthd on
> the server machine. If it has Mandriva on it, the rpm package is named as
> cyrus-sasl. This daemon handles authentication to the imap server (cyrus in
> this case). You should also check to make sure your preferred
> authentication method to the imap server is saslauthd as described in the
> documentation:

I think that's probably the problem.  I believe I set dovecot to simply use
plain text authentication.  It can handle sasl, so I'll have to read up on
that.

> http://docs.kde.org/kde3/en/kdebase/userguide/kontact-imap-cyrus.html
>
> I am not sure, the way you describe it sounds like an authentication
> failure to me, either a firewall issue (although less likely) or the
> authentication method. I currently have 2 clients sharing the contacts from
> the imap server as described.

That's why I first thought of firewall and selinux.

> For sharing the calender, I really don't know how to transfer the existing
> calender to the imap server. When you create a new entry, if both resources
> are selected (i.e. default calender, which is local, and
> groupware/Inbox/Calender) you are prompted where to save the new entry. If
> you know how to select and transfer all existing entries, I would
> appreciate the help there.

What I did was to go to the resource section and set up a new one - Calendar
on IMAP Server via KMail, which sets up an empty calendar.  I then used
File -> Import to pull in a copy of my own organizer - remember that this is
on the server.  According to the docs you then have right-click on the dimap
resource folder and get Properties, where there is an Access tab.  There,
apparently, you should be able to say who can see the resource.  This is
theory, based on my understanding.  I have not yet been able to do it.

> You are very close, don't give up ;).

I rarely do :-)  And even then it's usually only for a time while I catch up
on other things.

Anne