[kdepim-users] kadressbook lost after crash

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 21 12:29:41 GMT 2008

On Friday 21 March 2008 11:18:13 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> Hi Anne!
>
> On Thursday 20 March 2008, you wrote:

> > > Hmm. This looks as if you were trying to use an old version of
> > > kdelibs (3.5.7 or older) with a new version of kdepim.
> >
> > No, it's kdelibs-common-3.5.7-43.6mdv2008.0 but kde-pim was recently
> > updated to 3.5.9.
>
> Isn't that exactly what I wrote? At least, it's what I meant to write.

I really shouldn't work when I'm so tired - sorry.  I read that as 'older than
3.5.7'.  I did realise, though, that your comment about mis-match still
stood.

> Your distribution should not have let you install kdepim 3.5.9 without
> also updating kdelibs. One can always use an old version of kdepim
> 3.5.x (or even 3.x) with the latest version of kdelibs but not
> vice-versa. The version of kdelibs should always match the version of
> the most recent kdesomething package.

I can't understand how it did happen.  I do believe it is down to broken
mirrors, but as you say, the whole installation should have been blocked if
the dependencies were not adequately resolved.  Anyway, the upshot is that I
removed all the mirrors and set up a new lot.  I then installed
kdelibs-common 3.5.9, and my addressbook works perfectly again.  Thanks for
pointing me in the right direction.

Anne