[kdepim-users] KMail and File Associations

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 10:33:42 GMT 2008

On 24/03/2008, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Monday 24 March 2008 08:45, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>  > On 24/03/2008, Ronny Standtke <Ronny.Standtke at gmx.net> wrote:
>  > >  I still think that SF should default to correct settings and KDE should
>  > >  default to a sane strategy if encountering inconsistent situations like
>  > > this (mismatch between HTTP content type header entry and file ending).
>  >
>  > There was no inconsistency. The HTTP content type header did not exist.
>  >

> Dotan, I'm not arguing with you, but if that is so, why did my click on the
>  link bring up a dialogue box telling me that it was of type .odt, and did I
>  want to open in it OOo?

Did you click the link in Kmail? You may have KDE set up to open .odf
files in Open Office. Actually, I would assume that is how you are set
up. KDE may have known that it was an odf file either by the filename
extension, or by the internal file headers, what you see when you run
"file" from the CLI.

I'm no linux guru, but so far as I understand those are the only ways
KDE can know what type of file was downloaded. Try naming a text file
with an odf extension and serving it with no HTTP headers, see what
your system does. Also, try naming an odf file as .txt (again, without
HTTP headers) as see what your system does with it. That can help you
understand how KDE is making decisions.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il