[kdepim-users] two questions

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Fri Mar 21 11:32:21 GMT 2008

On Thursday 20 March 2008, dusa.adrian wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> Appologies if I am not posting to the right list, as this is the
> "devel" one, but I couldn't find any "kmail-users" list.

There's the more general kdepim-users. Let's move this thread there,
i.e. please send replies only to kdepim-users.

> I have two questions, or better say two proposals that I find
> extremely useful:
>
> 1. Is it possible to sort the threaded messages in the order of the
> last email in the thread? The functionality is similar to Gmail,
> where the thread is moved to the top of the list whenever a new
> message arrives in that thread, no matter when the first message in
> the thread is dated.

No, unfortunately that's currently not possible. KMail always sorts by
the head of the thread.

> 2. Is it possible to right click on the message, and to select the
> encoding? I have messages in different languages with different
> encodings, it would be extremely useful for non-native English
> speakers to rapidly select an encoding...

Usually it should not be necessary to change the encoding because KMail
will automatically choose the correct encoding provided the encoding is
listed in the message. If the encoding is not listed in the message
(which means the message was created with a buggy email application)
then you can change the encoding via Set Encoding in the View menu.

If you receive lots of broken messages encoded with the same encoding
then you can define this encoding as "Fallback character encoding" in
the configuration dialog under Appearance/Message Window.