[kdepim-users] IMAP resources - can't set up

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 16 17:05:10 GMT 2008

On Sunday 16 March 2008 16:14, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Sunday 16 March 2008 14:35, E. Hakan Duran wrote:
> > On Sunday 16 March 2008 04:10:15 am Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > Were the folders under the local Inbox, or under the new dimap account?
> > >  And where were the shared resources stored?  I presume I have to copy
> > > my diary and addressbook to that place.
> >
> > The folders (Contacts, Calender, Notes, etc.) are all under new dimap
> > account. I had my contacts under a local directory storage format. First
> > I enabled the extension toolbar which shows your resources (addressbooks)
> > and selected *both* local and dimap addressbook. Then I selected all of
> > my contacts and hit the "store the contact" button. You can do it from
> > Edit>Store as well. I am not using English locale so my reverse
> > translation of menu/button names may not be accurate by the way. Kontact
> > then opens a dialog asking where to store the selected contacts. I chose
> > dimap, since they were already in my local host before. My 417 contacts
> > lasted about3-5 seconds to be transferred to the dimap account. This
> > process deletes the contacts from your localhost though. Therefore,  you
> > may want to copy them to another place before you do the transfer, for
> > backup purposes.
> >
> > I did not attempt to do this for calender, notes, journal, tasks, etc.
> > Therefore, I don't know how to do it. If you figure out and let me know,
> > that would be great.
>
> I thought for a moment that we had cracked it.  First I followed your
> instructions to get the addresses into the new account, then I created a
> new Calendar account and imported the old one.  At that point it was
> looking good.  On the server box, with the local account entries un-checked
> I could see my addressbook and my calendar.  Great.
>
> Then to a client box.  I have created the account and got the additional
> folders created, but every time I try to connect to the server I get
> a 'connection closed unexpectedly' message.  I don't think it's a firewall
> issue, since I have reached my mailbox from outside.  SELinux is not
> creating any errors in the log.  I have tried giving the new account
> 'groupware' as the user and its password, and also using my own name and
> password.  Neither work.  All I see is a blank addressbook and blank
> calendar.
>
> I have a feeling that we are doing this entirely the wrong way on the
> client boxes.  If we use fish to import and merge the calendar it would
> create a local copy, but I can't see how it would ever update.
>
> I'll give it some more thought.  Maybe what I've said will give you some
> new ideas too.

All is not well, even on the server.  When the resource subfolders were
created no folders were created for mail handling.  I don't know whether that
is the cause of the problems, but when I right-click on the new Calendar
entry > Properties > Access Control it tells me that I must check mail first.
When I try to do that I get the 'connection to the server dimap was
unexpectedly closed or timed out' message.

How and where is kmail told that the dimap account should point to my Maildir
account?  Have you managed that?

The instructions in the docs are vague.  "At cyrus level (in the PC that runs
IMAP server cyrus, with cyrus tools), we first need to add the user mary, so
it's an IMAP recognised user, and create an IMAP folder for her".  How on
earth does that translate to dovecot?  I'll sign on to the dovecot list again
and ask them.

Anne