[kdepim-users] Understanding kmail imap resources

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Mar 24 11:47:41 GMT 2008

On Monday 24 March 2008, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 24 March 2008 10:29, Martin (KDE) wrote:
> > To get things right: you have added new contacts and appointments
> > on the server box. These date are stored in your .kde directory and
> > the content is shown in the addressbook and calendar respectively.
> > So this part is OK.
> >
> > So we have to make sure, the data are stored on the imap server as
> > well (while/after hitting ctrl-l or check mails on all accounts in
> > kmail). For this please use thunderbird to confirm the existence on
> > your dovecot server.
>
> Forget the last message.  That was on the server.  Doing ctrl-l on
> the client box didn't bring up an error, and EUREKA! it works!
>
> Now the only question is why ctrl-l downloaded the entries, but
> checking the mail didn't.  I'm worried that simply relying on a timed
> check of mail will not update the resources.

There should be no difference. Did anything change between checking the
mail and using Ctrl+L? Did you probably check mail from the "server" in
between?

BTW, I think it's confusing to talk about a server and a client. As far
as KMail and the IMAP resource is concerned there is an IMAP server and
there are several KMail clients. It is irrelevant whether KMail runs on
the server machine or the client machine (except for general problems
w.r.t. the communication between client machine and server machine,
e.g. due to blocked ports of the IMAP server; but those problems are
completely unrelated to KMail's functionality, and so they should be
separated from problems with setting up the IMAP resource functionality
with KMail).