[kdepim-users] Kmail and Right-to-Left languages

Stan Goodman stan.goodman at hashkedim.com
Fri Jun 27 10:36:47 BST 2008

At 12:08:35 on Friday Friday 27 June 2008, AnneWilson
<cannewilson at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Friday 27 June 2008 08:29:30 Stan Goodman wrote:
> > I am using Kmail v1.9.6 in KDE v3.5.7 under openSuSE v10.3.
> >
> > In writing a Hebrew message, all looks correct: Hebrew characters are
> > displayed, and in the correct order, and lines begin against the
> > right-hand margin.
> >
> > The recipient sees something different, virtually impossible to read:
> > Although the characters are still correct, and lines still begin at
> > the right-hand margin, the order of the characters is reversed.
> >
> > It is as though, in English, the name of this list were written
> > as "sresu-mipedk".
> >
> > I have not found a way to correct this, and do not see a clue in the
> > documentation available. I would be very grateful for advice.
>
> Maybe a configuration at his end?  Does he use KMail as well?
>
> Anne

No The behavior is not limited to one addressee, but "afflicts" them all..

I have only recently begun to use Kmail for sending Hebrew messages, and
became aware of the problem very quickly. The mirror character order has
to be at this end.

There are in fact two "standards"  =;-/8 for character collation,
called "visual" and "logical" . Windows (so Windows users tell me) allows
a message originator to set either as a default. If Kmail doesn't have a
similar option, that would be a deal breaker for me, and not only for
me -- which suggests that there must be a fix for this.

The identical problem exists for Arabic, of course, which is why I phrased
the Subject line as  I did.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on