[kdepim-users] Kmail crashes after syncing mail directories

Alexander Borghgraef alexander.borghgraef.rma at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 11:15:25 BST 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 8:54 PM, Ingo Klöcker <kloecker at kde.org> wrote:
> No user-space application can corrupt a filesystem (unless there's a bug
> in the filesystem code). So if even 'ls' doesn't work properly for you
> then you do indeed seem to have serious problems. But those problems
> cannot be caused by KMail (unless you run it as root). It's much more
> likely an nfs problem.

The nfs people think it's probably a problem caused by time resolution
discrepancies between nfs and the mounted ext3 filesystem. Now the
actual error is caused by a process accessing a directory or file on
the file system (kmail syncing the mail directories), and said
directory or file being removed (or more likely replaced, since it's
still there afterwards) by another process before the first one has
finished. I can't figure out what that second process could be though,
it's strange. Any ideas?

--
Alex Borghgraef