[kdepim-users] Tips for a PARANOIC KMail MOD ?

macintoshzoom macintoshzoom at lavabit.com
Mon Jun 2 20:05:56 BST 2008

Hi,

Could you guys give me your tips & tricks to configure an ultra secure
KMail for top privacy/anonymous speech?:

The enemy: Eavesdroppers, spyers, content alteration attacks, spoofers,
virus/spyware/Trojans/keyloggers/rootkits infectors, wireless bandwith
stealers, spammers, id/data/bankdata/ stealers, criminals, (bad-boys)
hackers, fascist government (most) and organizations (lots) a-la Ku
Klux Klan clan ... etc.

The mission: Protect Humanity from attacks against their dignity and
their free/anonymous speech, to speak, to listen, to learn, to
communicate, to think, to vote, to opine, in an uncensored way: A key
feature for a (hopely) in-progress civilization. Some of my current
KMail (and similarly for Thunderbird or Sylpheed) testing tweaks:

- Remove any User_agent header, by adding a custom User-Agent header
=   (empty)
- Socksifying it via the tor (tor.eff.org) socks anonymizer network
using the local tor server and dsocks (socksify tool) on OpenBSD
(dsocks-torify.sh kmail).
- Environment proxy settings (.profile)
HTTP_PROXY="http://127.0.0.1:8118/" and
HTTPS_PROXY="http://127.0.0.1:8118/", that is a privoxy (.org) http
proxy & cleaner (with custom extra severe tweaks) that redirects to the
local tor socks server proxy. (dns requests are passed via tcp via the
tor network)
- Use Kgpg (gnupg) sign & encryption per default, adding a note to all
sent emails promoting gnupg e-mailing use (to-do offering a simple and
complete quick how-to link).

Some interesting to-dos:
- Mixminion to send: Setting an option (via a custom toolbar-button or
so) to optionally sent the email via a local mixminion (+via the tor
network) (mixminion.net) medium latency remailer system network for
ultra secure-private e-mailing. The incognito
(http://incognito.anonymityanywhere.com) livecd/liveusb has already
setup this and is a very good job on this subject, I am learning from
it a lot.
- MIxminion to receive: The reply-block system permits an mixminion
anonymous inbox, dont know how yet and even less how to integrate it in
a transparent (one-button) option on Kmail.

If KMail inherits some settings from Konqueror (???), I have set-up
this for KDE "paranoic" browsing:

- No cache, no cookies, no java, no javascript, no plugins, env proxy
as said before, no send-identification, SendReferrer=false,
SendUserAgent=false, proxying all via privoxy and tor. (Enabling only
some of these per site-specific domain if in need of better browsing
for trusted (?) sites). As most of you know, if you enable all this you
got a

I don't know where and how KMail handles cookies, java, javascript,
plugins, referrer, cache,  external images-links, etc, but I think its
setup as default is for secure e-mailing (???).

Any tips&tricks or brainstorm ideas are welcome!

macintoshzoom at lavabit.com
My gpg public key is available at any public keyserver.