[kdepim-users] Dialling from Kaddressbook

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Jun 28 23:41:06 BST 2008

On Saturday 28 June 2008, Stan Goodman wrote:
> I want Kaddressbook to dial the telephone (not a SIPphone, and not to
> an ISP, but through an analog modem to an ordinary POTS phone line).
> Since this utility knows the numbers of all those to whom I dial
> routinely, it should be superfluous for me to punch buttons manually.
>
> The developer(s) of the program have not thought to give it a way to
> communicate with the modem, but they have provided a hook so that one
> can point it at an appropriate dialer. This is located at Settings >
> Configure Kaddressbook > General.
>
> I have installed wvdial and entered <wvdial %N> (w/o the angle
> brackets) in the Phone field, guessing that the model provided in
> that field when I installed Kaddressbook is valid for wvdial. (That
> "dialer" did  not, in fact know how to dial, but only to emit
> dialling tones to holler through the handset, which is a primitive
> solution). Clicking on a telephone number does nothing at all, so
> clearly what I have done is wrong and/or insufficient.

I have just written a simple test-script and entered it as hook for
phone numbers. The test-script simply added the number given to it to
some file. Each time I clicked on a telephone number in KAddressBook a
number was added to the file. So at least for me clicking on a
telephone number has the desired effect.

According to the man page of wvdial calling wvdial with a phone number
as command line argument does not work. But you can call wvdial with a
certain Dialer section name from your wvdial.conf. Maybe you can name
the Dialer sections like the corresponding phone numbers. Then it
should work. For more information read 'man wvdial'.