[kdepim-users] Dialling from Kaddressbook

Stan Goodman stan.goodman at hashkedim.com
Sun Jun 29 16:48:26 BST 2008

At 17:41:46 on Sunday Sunday 29 June 2008, Robin Atwood <robin at binro.org>
wrote:
> On Sunday 29 Jun 2008, Stan Goodman wrote:
> > I want Kaddressbook to dial the telephone (not a SIPphone, and not to
> > an ISP, but through an analog modem to an ordinary POTS phone line).
> > Since this utility knows the numbers of all those to whom I dial
> > routinely, it should be superfluous for me to punch buttons manually.
>
> Many moons ago I wrote an application called Kall, which you can find
> at http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/Kall?content=14447. It still
> works with KDE 3.5.9 because I just used it to call the bank!

MANY THANKS for telling me this.

It is a welcome shock to realize that somebody actually saw that the whole
difference between Kaddressbook and a 1930s Rolodex is that the former is
capable, given the right encouragement, of dialing numbers directly,
rather than utilizing the human index finger. And your website says that
you wrote Kall specifically for Kaddressbook!!!  And evidently nobody
else has heard of this essential utility, which magnifies the value of
Kaddressbook many fold.

Since it seems to be the only such purpose-designed program on the planet,
one would think that the openSuSE crew would think to make it available
as an RPM, but no. Or that KDE would mention it in the
Kaddressbook "documentation"  =;-)8.  The mind boggles.

I will download it from your website tomorrow, and install it according to
the directions provided.

Bless you, sir...

--
Stan Goodman