[kdepim-users] kontact 4.1svn unbearable slow

mikolaj mikmach at wp.pl
Thu Jul 17 18:00:20 BST 2008

On Thursday 17 July 2008 09:48:28 Kishore wrote:
> On Thursday 17 Jul 2008 12:34:49 pm mikolaj wrote:
> > KMail in kontact for KDE 4.1svn is terribly slow - practically unusable.
> >
> > Displaying of mails takes several seconds and whole interface feels
> > sluggish. Other parts of Kontact are better.
>
> This is coming to you from kontact/kmail built from SVN and it works
fine
> here. However, kmail blocks when retrieving signatures for several
seconds
> and yes, that is painful. Of course, this only happens when the
message is
> signed and only once for a new signature.

I found where problem is: big folders. Relatively speaking. In small
folders, up to 2000-3000 thousands of messages it is fast. Well, not
really. Fast is in folders < 1000 messages. Up to 3000 it takes ca 2
seconds. In kdepim-users with 8700 messages it begins to slow down.
Displaying of your message took 3 secs. Much bigger pain is with even
bigger folders. digikam-devel has 22000 and displaying of message
lasts there up to 9 seconds. Similar to vim-devel with 20000. Real
disaster is with vim-list (60000 messages) stopped waiting after 2
minutes.

And all those times are after recreation of indexes for KDE-PIM 4. With
old indexes times were 2 times longer.