[kdepim-users] kmail - sender's encoding

Krzysztof Sobolewski jezuch at interia.pl
Fri Jul 11 20:15:48 BST 2008

Friday 11 of July 2008 20:05:53 Stan Goodman napisał(a):

> >   I am have a small problem with kmail 1.9.9 on KDE 3.5.9 using Debian
> > Sid. The sender's name is not shown properly when the encoding is
> > declared in the first few letters.  For example my name
> >  Γιώργος Μιχαλογιωργάκης
> > shows up as
> > "=?UTF-8?B?zpPOuc+Oz4HOs86/z4IgzpzOuc+HzrHOu86/zrPOuc+Jz4HOs86szrrOt8+C
> >?="
> >
> > There is no problem with the subject or the body of the message.  Any
> > ideas ?
>
> I see the "Sender" correctly in kmail 1.9.6 under kde 3.5.7 (release
> 729) -- openSuSE v10.3.

It must be something Debian-specific, because I started seeing this as well, after last apt-get update. This is especially interesting because it was only a packaging revision with the following changelog:

kdepim (4:3.5.9-4) unstable; urgency=medium

  * Remove changes on libkmime/libemailfunctions/libkdepim that should have
    not been pulled. (Closes: #489095)

 -- Ana Beatriz Guerrero Lopez <ana at debian.org>  Sun, 06 Jul 2008 14:33:31 +0200

kdepim (4:3.5.9-3) unstable; urgency=low

  +++ Changes by Sune Vuorela:

  * Remove dimap warning. kmail is stable now.

  +++ Changes by Modestas Vainius:

  * Add 20_maildir_foldersize_race.diff. It should fix a race between
    slotDirSizeJobResult() and doFolderSize() in kmfoldermaildir.cpp which
    could lead to crashes (Really closes: #469834). NOTE: #469834 was
    hijacked for gpgme issue.

  +++ Changes by Pino Toscano:

  * Recommend kmailcvt for kmail. (Closes: #476147)
  * Drop a paragraph in the kmail description about extra packages, as those
    are dependencies. (Closes: #485418)
  * Make kmailcvt require at least the version of kmail as itself,
    and vice versa. (Closes: #359246)

  +++ Changes by Ana Beatriz Guerrero Lopez:

  * KDE_3_5_BRANCH update (up to r825749): contains a lot of stuff, including:
    - Fix for when replying to address with umlaut and comma, it creates two
      addressees. (Closes: #397635)
    - Hopefully fix when some events are not displayed in korganizer.
      (Closes: #431605)
    - Fix problem that filtering with online IMAP stop after the first message
      had been processed. (Closes: #425739)
    - Translation updates, and ics files updates.

  * Add Conflicts to kdepim-dev with previous knode versions. (Closes: #475351)
  * Update lintian overrides.
  * Update section in doc-base files.
  * Update desktop files.

 -- Debian Qt/KDE Maintainers <debian-qt-kde at lists.debian.org>  Sun, 29 Jun 2008 19:10:03 +0200

Well, I guess it wasn't just a packaging update... There seems to be some twiddling with addresses. Do you think this is Debian-specific, or was the bug pulled from upstream?
--
Ecce Jezuch
"When you kill a man - you're a murderer. Kill many - and you're a