[kdepim-users] Inline images in KMail

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Jul 31 20:26:23 BST 2008

On Thursday 31 July 2008, Kevin Gilbert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just had my first look at KMail under KDE4.1.
>
> The first thing I looked for was the facility to create messages with
> inline images & other attachments. Unfortunately, that facility still
> doesn't exist! :(

Because it is far from trivial to implement with the currently used
editor and because all of our resources were spent on making sure that
KMail is available in KDE 4.1 at all.

> See http://lists.kde.org/?l=kdepim-users&m=115145060532073&w=2 for a
> message on the same topic I posted on 2006-06-27.
>
> Are there any plans to include this?

I don't know whether there are concrete plans (as in "John Doe intends
to implement it for KDE 4.2"). Maybe ask again at the kde-pim mailing
list.

> KMail lags far behind other Email clients in this regard - both
> Outlook & Thunderbird can do this.

... and it is far ahead in some other regards.

I suggest to avoid such "This other app can do it, so why can't you?"
statements. They are the weakest argument you can give when you request
a feature. And to be honest, I, as former maintainer of KMail, always
feel a bit insulted by such statements. I guess you did not intend to
bash KMail, but as far as I'm concerned you did. Maybe I'm too
sensitive. Anyway, no hard feelings.

> Is there anything I can do to help? Happy to have a hack if someone
> will point me in the right direction.

Come over to the kde-pim mailing list. Your help will be appreciated.