[kdepim-users] gmail imap, kmail, and groupware

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Jan 22 22:33:02 GMT 2008

On Tuesday 22 January 2008, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 January 2008 08:51:38 Gandalf Lechner wrote:
> > In comparison to the calendar, however, addressbook files
> > can only be stored locally ..
>
> Gandalf, which distro, and which version of kaddressbook is this?  I
> have used remote addressbooks for years, but in my latest
> installation, Mandriva 2008, KAddressbook 3.5.7, I find, like you,
> that I can only use a local addressbook.

Same here. There's a plethora of groupware servers to chose from, but a
simple remote file resource is not available anymore. It might be that
it was removed because it's not possible to lock a remote file and that
it's impossible to get notified about changes. Also after every small
change the whole file had to be uploaded. I remember several
discussions about the problems with the remote file resource and I'm
pretty sure that it was removed because of those problems. Some other
thing that I seem to remember is that due to some very reasonable
design decisions it was no longer possible to support the remote file
resource.

IOW, the remote file resource was removed and most likely it will not
come back. (OTOH, it shouldn't be too hard to implement a remote file
resource for Akonadi.)