[kdepim-users] SURVEY: PDA with Embedded Linux?

Jonathan Wilson jw at mailsw.com
Tue Jan 29 05:37:29 GMT 2008

On Monday 28 January 2008 20:19:54 Homo ludens wrote:
> Is anybody on this list using a handheld device / PDA running an Embedded
> Linux-based system such as Qtopia or OPIE?
>
> If so:
>
> (a) What kind of heldheld are you using?
> (b) Is it synchronizing with Kontact? How well, and using what kind of sync
> application?
>
> Thanks everyone,
>
> home ludens

Hey! Why are you asking, I'm very curious to know? :-)
You did not give any details.

I've been lurking on this list for EIGHT YEARS waiting for consistent PIM
Synchronization support in KDE. Yes, there are things that work from time to
time, but it's always ebbing and tiding. Some KDE releases things work, and
the next one everything is broken and "Oh, we're writing a new framework"
or "Oh, yeah, we're waiting on the next KDE Libs release so we can gut the
core code and rewrite it".

I'm nearly dying for the Synch stuff to be given priority. I mean, realy,
dedicated, important priority. Kontact/KMail works great, please, give some
attention to these other needs :-)

I've had several iPaqs runnign Linux. Right now for daily use I have an iPaq
rx3115 still running Windows Mobile 5 (for shame ;-) because it just works
better and at least I can get reliable backups of it.

But! I have a iPaq 3870 series with SD card slot and Bluetooth. It has
Familiar/OPIE installed. I have the CF card sleeve (which makes it
wonderfully easy to install Linux on) and all the rest.  I don't really use
it, it's been sitting around awaiting the great day for testing. If it had
100% compatible, reliable KDE sync that REALLY worked and didn't
change/dissappear between releases I would dance a jig.

Old iPaqs for testing can be had pretty cheap:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Compaq-IPAQ-3800-H3835_W0QQitemZ200195469178QQihZ010QQcategoryZ38331QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

For Question B: Not right now, I'vemade it work with old-old-Kitchensync
(which is not at all the same as the app that goes by that name now) and alsi
with . . . I think it was called OpenSync.

Oh, that some dedicated developer would make this work for good. And Windows
Mobile support too - there are many business people who will use Linux on
their workstations that might never get up the gumption to install Linux on
their handheld. Also, in some cases they wont' want to - for example I own
several PocketPC applications that are wonderful, and there is just no
Familiar/OPIE equivalent.

Once again I ask: why are you asking? Are you going to start development?

	JW