[kdepim-users] Strange data loss in Kmail

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 11 13:31:24 GMT 2008

On Monday 11 February 2008 12:59, phep wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > happens again.  I have seen it several time, almost always following a
> > crash. If you are going to bulk process messages as you described here, I
> > suggest that you break the task into smaller numbers.  The number of
> > messages that can safely be processed seems to vary between versions and
> > distros.  I'd
>
> Thank you for this piece of information. That explains the huge crash I
> experimented when I first tried to switch to Kmail, and that's why I
> asked how to clean Kmail places some days ago ;-). I had no time to make
> a new try but now I know what I have to look out for when I start again.
>
> Do those crashes exhibit when the filters are automatically applied to a
> huge quantity of messages being popped out of the server ? I mean, I
> regularly pop several hundreds messages at a time with more than a dozen
> filters triaging them: is this a crash opportunity of choice ?

There are definitely differences between distros and versions, so my answers
are not definitive.  Under CentOS 5.1 I have moved hundreds of messages
without a problem.  I recently migrated old mail to the new server that way.
Under Mandriva 2007 and 2008, though I was never able to move, delete, or
process in any way more than around 60 messages without triggering it.

That's why I suggested that you start with a low number, and move steadily
upwards until you find your limit.

HTH

Anne