[kdepim-users] IMAP server certificate authenticity check

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Feb 24 18:47:13 GMT 2008

On Sunday 24 February 2008, E. Hakan Duran wrote:
> On Sunday 24 February 2008 07:01:30 am Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > I've been using KDE for about 9 years and I've been the maintainer
> > of KMail for the last 6 years, so I guess it's just natural that I
> > know quite a lot about KDE. :-)
>
> I am very glad you do!
>
> There is one more thing that I am experiencing with kmail. It is
> nothing major but annoying at times and it may very well be a distro
> dependent issue. I have a disconnected IMAP account, which has a
> server name different than the security certificate that the site
> has. Kmail pops up a warning dialog whether I want to continue or see
> details of the conflict, which is fine. When I select continue, there
> comes another dialog asking me if the confirmation to continue was
> for once or for always. Although I click always, this security check
> happens again the same way perhaps every other or so authentication.
> Not everytime, but in a rather random fashion. If this is an extra
> security feature, meaning that even though the user selects always,
> the confirmation is set to be asked every nth authentication, I can
> see the purpose for that, but even so, there should be some
> notification of the user about this extra security feature. If this
> is a bug, rather than an extra security feature, then is there a way
> for me to edit the config file or something like that to disable
> that?

This sounds like a bug. But maybe it's caused by the server. Maybe the
response of the server varies in some way (maybe there are actually
several different servers with differing IP addresses?) so that KMail
(or rather KDE's certificate backend) thinks it's talking to a server
it hasn't talked to before and therefore asks again. Note that this is
just a wild guess since I don't know how KDE's server certificate
backend stores the information about accepted certificates.

This is definitely a known problem and I'm pretty sure there's a
corresponding bug report in bugs.kde.org.