[kdepim-users] annoying wallet -> problem solved , thanx guys :)

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at verizon.net
Thu Feb 21 02:31:43 GMT 2008

On Wednesday 20 February 2008 04:41, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 February 2008 06:57:16 O. Sinclair wrote:
> > Well, I meant this to the list and not to you as a person, got the
> > reply-to wrong. But I have yet to come across a distro of KDE that do
> > not use Kwallet by default, not meaning that you can not disable it. And
> > if KDE use it then Kmail will use it unless told not to.
> >
> > As I said - I did not follow the thread from start and it has little to
> > do with how "I like it". I sometimes find Kwallet good, sometimes not.
> > But the concept is not overly irritating if I get to put my password
> > once, no more than giving the sudo/admin password.
>
> This is simply not true.  On the first instance after an install that the
> use of kwallet is applicable you are asked if you want to use it.  If you
> refuse at that time it is not used.  None-the-less, it is entirely
> configurable to do whatever you wish, including disabling it.  That is your
> choice.

It's not as simple as that.  I do a fresh install of Slackware.  The first
time I fire up kmail I have some configuring to do,  plugging in the info for
the email servers the software needs to access,  AND THE PASSWORDS.  The
first time it attempts to do so it tries to access the stupid wallet thingy
anyway,  and I have to go through more crap to get it to not try and do so.
This didn't used to be an issue to deal with -- now it is.  Something that
worked a certain way before doesn't work that way any more -- therefore _they
broke it_ when this stuff was added.  A simple "this feature is available to
you now and it wasn't before,  do you want to use it?" with a yes/no option
might have been nice but that choice wasn't what was presented.

> I merely ask that you consider the security implications, and that you (not
> you personally) stop the incessant nagging because you (some people) are too
> lazy to tell it what they want.

Telling it no and then having the software nag you to use it anyway isn't much
fun either.

-
M Dakin