[kdepim-users] Strange data loss in Kmail

Holger Hellmuth holger at gspranz.de
Wed Feb 20 06:10:37 GMT 2008

I wanted to try out (maybe even find) that bug myself, so I built
kmail1.9.7 (aka kdepim3.5.7) from source, created 5000 (simple text)
messages (without attachements) totalling 20M and 3 filters. 2 filters
changed only the state of some of the messages, the third copied or
moved 1/4 of the messages to another folder.

No crashes on several tries. The filtering took about 1 minute on an
athlon64 2200+ with suse10.3. Seems the bug isn't so easy to reproduce.

Are my emails too small? Or my filters too simple?

Attila, if you have some time, could you please test a few things? Maybe
we can find out more about the conditions of this bug.

1) You could send me the output of ulimit -a. If there is a difference
to my limits, I can change them to yours and see if kmail crashes. Also,
what is the total size of your test emails? Maybe the 20M I used were
not enough (although I doubt it is about the size, Kmail didn't use up
lots of memory when filtering).

2) You could turn off any background activities, like for incoming mail
or sending mail. Surest way to do that would be deleting the accounts in
the configuration (hopefully your test environment is up already). If
Kmail still crashes, then concurrent operations on the mails are
probably not the problem here.

3) You could vary the number and complexity of your filters and see if
there is a minimum.

Anyone else think of a good test?